Bestsellers from the Blood Collection Category
Blood Collection Systems and Accessories
In the category Blood Collection, you will find various blood collection systems and accessories for diagnostic and therapeutic phlebotomy. Whether you need Sarstedt Monovettes or phlebotomy tubes, Praxisdienst offers everything you could require for professional blood collection. More information on medical blood collection
Professional Blood Collection Systems
In human medicine, blood is collected either for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes, e.g. for creating a haemogram or for blood gas analysis procedures. For diagnostic blood collection, a defined amount of blood is drawn and collected in a syringe or in a special blood collection tube. These blood sample tubes come with a preparation that prepares the collected blood for later examination. Depending on whether the exam is to take place with serum, plasma or whole blood, special ingredients like citrate or EDTA must be added to the blood sample.
Aspiration Systems & Vacuum Systems for Blood Collection
We differentiate between two blood drawing systems: the aspiration system and the vacuum system. The most famous mediums for both of these blood collection systems are the Monovette (aspiration system) and the Vacutainer (vacuum system). Both blood drawing systems provide a fast and clean process and can be applied for adults and children.
Performing a Venous Blood Collection
The procedure starts after assembling the needed equipment, such as gloves, sterile needles, swabs, tourniquets, disinfectants, instruments for sample collection and adhesive plasters in the laboratory and disinfecting your hands.
- Congestion - use a tourniquet on the patient's arm to congest the blood in his vein, at an approx. 7.5cm distance to the puncture site.
- Choosing the puncture site - generally, phlebotomists favour the cephalic vein or the the median cubital vein.
- Disinfecting the chosen site - please read the information provided by the manufacturer of the disinfectant.
- Gloves - they should be put on now.
- Preparing the instruments - e.g. prepare the cannula/needle.
- Venipuncture - when puncturing the vein, you should make sure that the needle opening is facing upwards.
- Loosening the tourniquet - you can loosen the tourniquet as soon as the first drop of blood flows in the tube.
- Stirring the tubes - tubes with additives such as EDTA need to be stirred after taking the blood sample.
- Finishing the venipuncture procedure - Carefully place a swab on the needle (do not apply any pressure). After pulling the needle out of the patient's skin, apply pressure to the injection site with the swab.
- Disposal - the needle and contaminated consumables should be disposed of in an appropriate sharps container.
- Wound care - apply a bandage or plaster to the venipuncture site as fast as possible, and advise the patient to apply pressure to the wound during 3-5 minutes.
Warning: To prevent contamination caused by the additives in some of the tubes, you should always be careful to use the tubes in a distinct order during routine venipuncture. You should, for example make sure to only fill EDTA tubes after filling serum or heparin tubes. If you want to take a sample in a citrate tube with help of a butterfly needle, you should first fill a neutral tube.
Phlebotomy: Therapeutic Bloodletting
Therapeutic bloodletting is also known as phlebotomy. This form of therapy is useful for patients who suffer from haemochromatosis, polycythemia or polyglobulia. Blood collection through phlebotomy is usually carried out with the help of special phlebotomy equipment and a vacuum bottle in which the let blood is collected to be disposed of later.
A Wide Selection of Blood Collection Systems and Supplies
In the Blood Collection category, you will find a large assortment of blood collection equipment and phlebotomy accessories from name brand manufacturers at affordable prices. We offer the Monovette blood collection tubes from Sarstedt, the Vacutainer System from BD, blood sedimentation racks, capillary and blood collection needles, blood collection tubes, as well as phlebotomy accessories and vacuum bottles. Even the suitable tourniquet can be found in our comprehensive assortment.
In order to minimise the risk of infection during blood collection, our online shop also offers a range of disinfectants to prepare puncture points. We also offer hand sanitisers for use in the surgery or hospital.
Do you have any questions about our blood collection systems or need advice on other phlebotomy products? Our customer service will gladly help you by telephone, e-mail or through our live chat.